The following sections cover a wide variety of important academic policies and guidelines. Additional campus policies and legislation can be found through the Secretary of the Academic Staff, Secretary of the Faculty, Office of Human Resources, Office of Legal Affairs, Office of the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration and the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education.
- Academic Calendaring
Find academic planning policies about centers and institutes, certificate programs, program reviews, degrees/majors options and more.
Advancement and Gifts
Find additional information about official fundraising and gift-receiving at UW-Madison through UW Foundation. Information about chairs and professorships administered by the Office of the Provost can be found on the “Awards and Grants” page.
Diversity and Inclusion
- Campus Climate
- Consensual Relationships
- Disability Accommodation Policies
- Discrimination, Discriminatory Harassment and Retaliation
- Domestic Partnerships
- Equal Opportunity Complaint Investigation
- Hostile and Intimidating Behavior
- Prohibited Harassment Policy
- Sexual Harassment and Sexual Violence Policy
- 2018 Guide to Creating and Maintaining a Safe Learning and Work Environment at UW-Madison
- Consumer Information for Prospective and Current UW-Madison Students
- Distance Learning Complaint Information
- Licensure Accreditation and Consumer Protection Complaint Process
Find additional compliance information including ADA, HIPPA, Title IX and more.
Find IT policies about copyright infringement, access control, web accessibility, passwords, storage and encryption, data classification and more.
- Safety, Health and Wellness
Teaching and Learning
- Academic Support Plan for Disruptions to Teaching and Learning
- Credit by Departmental Exams for Undergraduates
- Course Syllabi Requirements
- Guidelines for Holding Classes and Related Educational Activities Off Campus
- Mental Health Syllabus Statement
- Policy on Directed/Independent Study for Undergraduates
- Policy for Enrolled Students Called to Active U.S. Military Service
- Policy on use of Pass/Fail Grading Option for Undergraduates
- Removal of Obsolete Courses Policy
View more academic planning policies.
View the full, official list of Faculty Policies and Procedures.
Family-related (Parental) Leave Policy
Learn more about the benefits and resources that are available to help balance the needs of family with the needs of work.
- Strategic Hiring Initiative
- Cluster Hiring Initiative
- Faculty Diversity Initiative
- Dual-Career Couple Assistance Program
- Searching for Excellence and Diversity workshops – offered by Women in Science and Engineering Leadership Institute (WISELI)
- New Faculty Programs – including tenure process workshops, networking lunch series and various career chats
- Women Faculty Mentoring Program
Find research policies about animal care, conflict of interest, human research protection, intellectual property, outside activities reporting, research ethics and more.
Sabbatical Leave Guidelines
Find sabbatical leave information including application guidelines, eligibility, criteria and planning.
- Tenure and Promotion