The Wisconsin Experience is UW-Madison’s vision for the total undergraduate student experience, which combines learning in and out of the classroom.
Tied to the Wisconsin Idea and steeped in our long-standing institutional values – the commitment to the truth, shared participation in decision-making, and service to local and global communities – the Wisconsin Experience describes how students develop and integrate these core values across their educational experience.
Through the Wisconsin Experience, our students will engage in the following areas of intellectual and personal growth.Empathy and Humility
- Develop and demonstrate cultural understanding of self and others
- Engage locally, nationally and globally in a respectful and civil manner
- Appreciate and celebrate one another’s abilities, views and accomplishments
- Actively learn with expert instructors, scholars and peers
- Engage in creative inquiry, scholarship and research
- Develop resilience, and foster courage in life and learning
- Develop competence, depth and expertise in a field of study
- Integrate ideas and synthesize knowledge across multiple contexts
- Exercise critical thinking and effective communication
- Apply knowledge and skills to solve problems
- Engage in public service, partner with others and contribute to community
- Lead for positive change