Rubrics are an evaluation or scoring tool that explicitly and substantively describes the performance expectations for an assignment through: 1) identifying the criteria being assessed; 2) characteristics of the criteria; and 3) the performance level for each criteria.
Benefits of Rubrics
- Reduces grading time - instructors can refer to substantive descriptions in a rubric instead of writing long comments
- Classroom feedback - instructors can clearly identify strengths/weaknesses across the entire class
- Consistency - helps to ensure consistency between graders and over time
- Reduces grade complaints - discourages grade complaints by clearly articulating criteria expected
- Performance improvement - clearly articulated criteria, descriptors, and performance levels tend to improve student performance