I am pleased to announce the continuation of the Strategic Hiring Fund of one million dollars per year that the Provost's Office will use to help fund the initial years of high-priority faculty hires. The funding will be available to provide assistance for recruitment and retention, on a case-by-case basis, in the following categories:
Tenured or Tenure-Track Minority Faculty
Tenured or Tenure-Track Women
Funding is available for recruitment or retention of women in areas where they are under-represented. Priority will be given to recruitment or retention of women in the sciences and engineering.
Dual-Career Couple funding may be used to recruit or retain a tenure-track faculty member by hiring the spouse/partner into a faculty tenure-track or tenured position or a long-term academic staff or classified position. (Priority will be given to dual-career hires that will contribute to faculty diversity; i.e. where hiring the partner/spouse will help in hiring or retaining a targeted minority or woman faculty member.)
For placement into non-faculty lines, Laurie Mayberry, Assistant Vice Provost, is available to help partners of faculty and professional academic staff members connect with employment opportunities and resources on campus and in the Madison community. She can be reached at 262-5246 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Allocations will be made on a rolling basis throughout the year.
- Allocations will be made to increase hiring flexibility to help provide competitive salary or to enhance start-up packages.
- The amount of strategic hiring assistance will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Ordinarily, the department or college will share the initial costs of the hire and the Provost's Office funding will be available for no more than three years. Funding will only be available for those units that provide continuing appointments for these individuals.
- Typically up to one year of salary support may be provided over a one- to three-year period.
- When salary funding is provided, the associated fringe benefits are included.
Method of Application and Deadline
Please review the New Process for requesting funding from the Strategic Hiring Initiative (effective fall semester 2016).
First stage - preliminary request for funding
- A preliminary request for funding may be initiated by the chair, with the approval of the school/college associate dean, or by the associate dean. This request can be made via email or phone conversation and must outline the basic terms.
- If the request involves a dual-career hire, the preliminary request for funding must be initiated by the dean or associate dean of the school or college where the primary hire is employed (or will be employed) with an email copy to the dean or associate dean of the school or college where the partner will be employed.
- The Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff will follow up with provisional approval via email and confirm the terms of the request to all parties.
Second stage - following provisional approval, formal request for funding
- Once the candidate(s) accept the offer(s), the dean(s) or associate dean(s) of the unit in which the hire(s) were made will use a Request for Funding form, complete it, and send it to the Vice Provost’s office.
- Forms should be sent no later than 30 June of the year in which the request was provisionally approved.
- Receipt of the form(s) will alert the Vice Provost’s office to release the funds during the appropriate fiscal year(s).